Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Autism is Hip??

As most of you know, I am currently attending college. I am getting my BA in Secondary Education with am emphasis in History, Sociology and Economics (don't ask... ha ha ha!). I hope to continue on to get my Masters in Autism and then eventually my Phd so I can pursue a career as a Superintendent. I want to make our school system as beneficial for EVERY CHILD as it can be. I am passionate about our special needs kids but there are other children that the system is currently failing. English language learners, foster children, homeless children and children who are 'at risk' for needing special education classes but don't currently qualify are a few examples. I want to advocate for the education of America's children. The reason I'm sharing that with you is to set the stage for the classes I'm enrolled in at MSUM.

One class I'm taking is 'Individuals with Exceptionalities'. This is basically "Special Education 101". All future teachers are required to take it, as well as a few other degrees who may be working with people with diabilities or special issues. I could tell on the first day that I was going to have a hard time biting my tongue in this class.

My instructor tells us a bit about herself. She is fairly young, probably not much older than myself. She has a BA in English Ed and a Masters in Special Education. She worked as an regular education teacher for a couple years, a special education teacher for a few years and has been working as a college instructor for 3 years. She shared some facts with us, one of which said "The number of students in special education rise every year". She asked the class why we thought this might be. A few people offered some ideas (of course I did!!) and one girl commented that perhaps the negative stigma associated with "Special Ed" has diminished some and that parents are more comfortable with giving their children the help they need. My instructor agreed and went on to say that "For example, right now it's hip to have a child with Autism because so many people are dealing with it."


Yeah. You read that right.


I sat up like someone had dropped an ice cube down the back of my shirt and I just stared at her. "It's HIP??" My brain couldn't keep up with the flood of emotions that I had and the point had moved on before I was even able to stop staring at my instructor. But my blood pressure didn't go down the rest of class and my cheeks stayed flush.

How is that someone who is supposed to be teaching sensitivity towards disabilities make a comment like that?
HOW ON EARTH would any parent feel 'fashionable' because their child has a disability such as Autism?
How do you explain to a mother with a child melting down for a reason she can't figure out in the middle of the grocery store with people commenting and whispering about what a bad mother she is, that it's cool to have a child with Autism?

I was very frustrated at the end of this class period but had decided that it wasn't the right time to bring the issue up.

Class number two:

We learned about the history of the special education program in the United States. Appalling to say the least but we really have come a long way from where we started. Not to say we don't have a long way yet to go, but that's why I'm here :D

At the end of the class period she opened the floor up for any questions and a guy asked "At what point, when a child is severely handicapped, do we know that this child won't be a contributing member of the society and stop using public funds to educate the child?"

.......

I about fell off my seat. Again, rendered somewhat speechless, I just stared at this guy. The instructor said something PC about "understanding what he means but that's a hard situation, etc". Her answer was weak. By this time I had regained myself and as soon as my instructor stopped speaking I said "It's clear that some children with certain disabilities may never be the President of the United States or a professional athlete or even a cashier at McDonald's, but that hardly makes them an uncontributing member of our society. And who is going to make that decision? Who gets to decide that a child is either worthy or unworthy of receiving an education?? You? Are you going to tell parents that their child isn't worth educating? Their education may take longer and may be more expensive but isn't that what our society stands for? And what do you suggest that we do with the children who aren't worthy of education because of their physical or cognitive disabilities? Put them in an institution?? Children are worth it, no matter their perceived ability to learn and we owe it to them to give them every possible opportunity to learn and grow, no matter the cost."

I sat back exhausted and I wanted to burst into tears. I wanted to tell them that I had NO HOPE for Ryan when he was diagnosed because I was so beat down and scared and frustrated and ignorant to his needs. But now, he can talk! He can write beautiful, perfect letters. He is above grade level in math! He can explain his feelings to me. He is learning to advocate for himself by removing himself from stressful situations or telling adults what is bothering him. He can sing and dance amazingly. But 5 years ago, I wouldn't have believed it. I have SEEN the growth in him because of school and therapies. It had little to do with me. It is due to the professionals who are trained to do this.
Now I realize not every child will have the growth that Ryan has, all children are different and all disabilities affect children differently, but growth is growth. Even if it's small. Ask any parent of a child with Autism about small victories. Sometimes it's as simple as putting one's own shoes on without screaming. Maybe it's using a full sentence for the first time. Perhaps it's eating a spoonful of corn without throwing up. There are tiny victories all the time in our children's world. To even begin to say that we would take that away from any children because of tax dollars...well... it just wouldn't happen.

Now, to be fair, this guy may have been playing the devil's advocate, or perhaps was just bringing up a question. I'm not condemning him, persay. But it brings up an issue that I know many people think about when it's presented. EVERY child is worth it. No matter anything... our children, all of them, deserve education.

(and I'll be taking note of this guy's name so that when my youngest children are in school they won't be in his class ;) )

2 comments:

  1. wow. I'm speechless. I commend you for holding it together and for responding so well, Amanda. I think I would have lost it and bawled.

    It's so not hip.

    As for what the guy said...maybe he shouldn't be going into education. I wrote a blog post about being "productive" last month. http://asugarandspicelife.blogspot.com/2011/04/on-being-productive-member-of-society.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read this blog. My eyes are misty and my heart heavy. Clearly, my ideal brain is thinking we are making progress and this is what you are learning in a college level course? And your prof? Yikes. Im glad Im not in this class. You are lucky Amanda that Ryan has so much success in school. Measures of success are subjective. Chandler has made little academic progress and I have learned more from my child than any of my college professors. I would love to write an anonymous letter on how I feel my non verbal child has contributed to society and how much his education is vital. What a fool. He will never make a good teacher unless he has a lesson in diversity and humanity.

    ReplyDelete